Sunday 21 September 2008

Day 38 : The Great Banana Hunt

The day started well enough with the skipping under sunny skies. The exercises this week are tougher and I need to consult the oracle on a couple of them. I pushed the plank up the order again and was able to do it - if I leave it to the end, I seem to lack the inner strength to last out long enough.

Then off to see Charlie as the rain clouds banked up again. By the time I reached Charlie's, the heavens had opened again and we have had heavy rain showers for the rest of the day. After Charlie, a visit to Japan's ancient and recently scandal-prone sport, sumo. Great fun with a major upset in the last bout. Thought maybe they could use the PCP, although they are very fit underneath all that blubber.

Shopping on the way back, I thought I had everything, and even bought some mint. But I forgot the bananas. Actually, maybe they weren't on display because when I realised, I thought, even though it was late, I had time to walk down the hill to the closest supermarket, which closes at 10. Shock, horror, no bananas!! Quickly on to one convenience store and then another. They often have single bananas on sale but no such luck. Finally, I thought of one more supermaket that also closes at 10, the expensive one. Dashing in at 9.50, I'm greeted with signs for four different types of bananas - but no bananas!!! Eventually, prowling round the shop, I came across what clearly much be the gourmet banana corner. Individually wrapped bananas! (Funny, I've always thought of bananas as the most convenient of fruit because they come ready-wrapped). Anyway, in the interests of the PCP, I invested Y198 (nearly $2) in a gourmet banana.

I bought the mint because I thought it would be a good variation to add to the shake. And so it proved. My shake ended up a slightly greenish colour and tasted of, well, mint. So I didn't really get to savour the true taste of the goumet banana, after all. Ah, well!!

3 comments:

Adrian and Emiko said...

Individually wrapped bananas? That's pretty weird. How are the eye exercises coming along?

-A

Amy said...

Patrick said something in his podcast about how buying cookies or candy in Japan is an exercise in over-packaging...sad to see it extends to bananas as well.

Are the planks getting easier for you? I hope so. I don't dread them as much as last week. But I still do them first.

Tim said...

Overpackaging in Japan is a crime against the environment. I am forever saying "no" to extra plastic bags. And in a discount grocery chain, I could have bought eighteen bananas for Y315 this morning - but I would never manage to eat them!!

Adrian, the eyes have changed enough for me to feel I need to change my glasses. Can't focus on my computer screen lol. And I'm not doing enough exercises - I should be doing more.

Amy, my requirement is 4 x 45sec. I can manage quite well if I do them first but not if I leave them to last.