Monday 8 September 2008

Day 25 : A Smoother Smoothie

I figured I was going to have to sleep late to recover because I didn't get to bed until after midnight and set the alarm for 7.20 thinking I would just have to leave the workout for the evening. But I woke up at 6.10 and after a major debate about whether I needed the extra hour, got up and did everything in Workout 1 (hate the plank, but did it) plus a load of laundry and cooked a batch of rice all before breakfast.

I felt some cooked vegetables had been chilling in the fridge a bit too long so I combined my morning yogurt and the vegetables in the (old) blender, added a bit of water and some pepper and boiled it up to what amounted to a cream of vegetable soup. OK, to be strictly accurate a yogurt of vegetable soup. It seemed to make the quantity much more. Needed a bit more spice but not too bad.

Shame I didn't know about the dispensation while I was drooling in the ice cream shop on Saturday. Ah well. My real craving is for an aloo gobi at my favorite Indian restaurant but that would blow the 200-400 calorie limit. Let me think.

My day gradually ran out of steam. Patrick is right about needing the sleep. I lasted really well until mid-afternoon but felt really tired by 6pm. I tried my new blender out when I got home and got a much smoother result.

So, back to eyesight.

Leo makes the interesting point that opticians are not in business to make your eyes better, they are in business to enable you to see (and sell glasses and contact lenses). By wearing glasses, you train the brain to believe that eyesight can't/won't improve and get used to the physical requirements of wearing lenses.

My eyes are not good. Quite badly short-sighted, the eyes quite unbalanced, with astigmatism and recently some need in the prescription for reading assistance. Leo felt that (1) I was on a course to make my eyes worse and worse and (2) they CAN become better. So I set a target to eliminate the astigmatism by the end of September; "balance" the short-sightedness by the end of October and stop wearing glasses by the end of the year. Maybe it can be done quicker. Certainly, as a result of the exercises over the weekend, I'm not seeing too clearly now.

All I need to do is exercise my eye muscles, provide the eyes with enough energy and BELIEVE. Sounds like PCP, right?

No comments: