Tuesday 2 September 2008

Day 19 : Back on Track

Got an email of "support" from my friend in Singapore : "Read your blog yesterday. Throwing tantrums in the garden are we ? Just DO IT !" But to put that into perspective he also said "I ran 15k last night in 1 hour 20mins so well chuffed" (for our American readers "chuffed" means "pleased") so you can see he likes to push himself.

There was also some support from an article in today's Japan Times reprinted from the Washington Post headed "It's never too late to pick up your pace". It is commenting on whether exercise, in this case running, can cause more damage than benefit. My friend will be pleased to hear that the study showed that taking exercise does not worsen the incidence of degenerative problems (knees etc) and benefits in other ways by reducing cardiovascular disease and some forms of cancer, not to mention what they call "the compression of morbidity" meaning shortening the period of infirmity at the end of a person's life when they are no longer able to look after themselves. (Sorry to anyone who isn't thinking about that end of their life yet for bringing this up lol).

The point I latched onto in the article echoes what Patrick has been saying "Injury often occurs when runners press beyond their limits they had not prepared for. Endurance is built with consistency, not acquired all at once". And skippers too, I decided!!

So I scaled back on the skipping today. I had to from a practical point of view as well. My evenings are not always my own (tonight is one of them) so I really need to do the exercises in the morning instead of getting home late and tired and forcing it in the evening.

And that meant that I was able to sleep long enough to get the full eight hours as instructed, get Workout 1 done (apart from lunging when I should have been squatting) and get my food sorted out without all the time pressure I had created for myself.

So I've unwound the skipping rope from around my neck!!


3 comments:

Adrian and Emiko said...

Hoorah for Tim! Adrian actually read that same article or something similar, and has been inspired (or was, before his lack of energy) to start running again. Am so glad that your skipping has a new, re-engergized purposefulness.

Keep those spirits up!
-E

Nate said...

Tim you are a strong inspiration in ways you don't even know. I can't imagine tackling the PCP if I was a few decades older. Haha sorry I'm not trying to be rude. But reading your blog while we do this thing is very inspiring because I'm like man Tim is rocking those jumps or those workouts and I know he is having a tough time so I don't have any excuse. So keep it up Tim you will be Papa PCP before you know it HAHA

Tim said...

Thanks guys. Actually, I'm only giving away seven years to the three of you combined lol.

Nate, you bring tears to my eyes. I thought it was emotion for a second but then I realised it's hilarity.

I'm glad you can't see some of my exercises though. I think I'm exercising the right muscles but the range of movement doesn't appear to be what Patrick has in mind!!

Getting there!!