Friday 29 August 2008

Day 15 : TGIF

Well, in bed Thursday night by 21.00, surfaced briefly at 01.00 before being thoroughly shaken at 04.30 by one of the biggest thunderstorms I've ever heard. I was tempted to get out of bed to watch the lightning but felt too tired. When you were a child, did you ever work out how far away the storm was by counting the seconds between the lightning flash and the thunder clap? Well, this one was over my head, NO space between the lightning and thunder and some of the thunder claps seemed like they were rolling on forever.

I managed to get back to sleep but didn't want to get up when the alarm went off at 06.30. So much for a restful night's sleep - I felt exhausted. But, I hadn't taken my rest day!! So no Workout necessary!! I stayed in bed for an extra 30 minutes. I still had to skip, though, and dragged myself out of bed and into the garden. 1,006 skips in about 25 minutes - not up to yesterday's high(er) standard.

It was wet after the storm and one corner of my eye was on mosquito watch. Nate mentioned heightened reaction time. I can't say I feel the same but at one point, with a mozzie closing in, I dropped the rope, bent down and clapped my hands (in a very smooth movement, if I say so myself) and there was one less mosquito in the world.

Since I have nothing to report on the Workout as it is my "rest day" and as Patrick has been encouraging us to focus on our role models, I though I would share with you the ground rules under which the Roadrunner cartoons are supposed to operate.

Copied from Wikipedia :
1. Road Runner cannot harm the Coyote except by going "beep, beep".
2. No outside force can harm the Coyote -- only his own ineptitude or the failure of Acme products.
3. The Coyote could stop anytime -- IF he was not a fanatic. (Repeat: "A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim." - George Santayana).
4. No dialogue ever, except "beep, beep".
5. Road Runner must stay on the road -- for no other reason than that he's a roadrunner.
6. All action must be confined to the natural environment of the two characters -- the southwest American desert.
7. All tools, weapons, or mechanical conveniences must be obtained from the Acme Corporation.
8. Whenever possible, make gravity the Coyote's greatest enemy.
9. The Coyote is always more humiliated than harmed by his failures.
10. The audience's sympathy must remain with the Coyote.

Actually, some of these rules were broken in practice - there is one cartoon with Bugs Bunny where Wile actually talks, for example. So I have broken them too by acquiring my equipment from other sources than Acme.

Please note that Rule 10 is especially important.

Beep, beep.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I'll admit as a kid I was always kind of freaked out by The Roadrunner cartoons. I think it was the absolute bleakness of the desert where they took place. Completely devoid of real color and light, a kind of shadowless purgatory for these two creatures to do eternal battle.

But now I'm seeing the tao of Wile E. bit by bit, thanks to you!