Friday 15 August 2008

Day One

Just for the record, made it to my computer a minute after the email arrived.

First reaction, for me, the ease of the instructions is the wrong way round.

Cutting back on food is a mindgame and I know I can do that. Mind you, I never measure my food so eating half is a judgement. And Patrick is right, I have it in-grained that leaving food on my plate is a waste (and I know my mother is watching) so I will just have to eat less.

But the exercises are more of a challenge. Easy? Ha!! Fine for you folks that can do these things. My back is a bit easier than yesterday so the skipping looks to be "on", squats, OK because I can hold onto something. Push-ups? These will have me struggling - I didn't have the stamina to do these properly in school, let alone 40 years on. And then we get to the crunch (sorry, I couldn't resist that one) , I'll need to anchor my feet and then see how far my stiff and painful back will let me go.

Well, that's it for now, I'll report back later to tell you whether my fears are justified. Wish me luck!!
.....................................................................................................
(one hour later)
OK, instant feedback time :

The key word is stamina

Skipping is possible but I managed fifty (in about five or six tries) and I'm winded. The only place to do it is the garden and the mosquitos were finding it very interesting. I can do something about them, though.

Squats - OK as long as we are not too serious about keeping my heels on the ground. This is a trade-off : heels on the ground, not much squat; heel off the ground, a lot more squat.

Push-ups - surprisingly possible to a point, the point being at what stage my chest leaves the floor. half way through, i.e. a sort of rolling push-up, not too bad; if the chest has to leave the floor immediately, I don't have enough strength in my arms (yes, I know, that's why I'm doing this so you don't kick sand in my face).

Crunch - hmm, I don't roll up very far but if that is not too important to start, then something was achieved.

Mind you, all this was on the basis of only fifty skips and one set each. And the sweat is pouring off me. I'll be catching up with the rest this evening!!!

Patrick - I'll be in touch!!!

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Damn Tim, the project is only 2 hours old and you've written two posts and done the trainings.

Everyone sucks at jumprope at first. I couldn't get through more than 10 without messing up at first, and was also very winded. Keep at it and your body will get the picture and shape up.

Tim said...

Thanks, Boss (training not actually finished yet, of course - when I get home tonight!!)