Saturday 23 August 2008

Day 9 : Looking on the Bright Side

OK, I admit it, I've been a tad too focused on the aches and pains.

So, the Day 9 blog will concentrate on the bright side.

Friday was actually one of those "busy" days that Patrick mentioned - doubled booked in the evening. Went to a fun show called "Drumstruck" ("the show where the audience plays the drums") but then had to dash off to a client reception (glad I did, I may have lined up some new business), ending up a little light-headed after four oolong teas on an empty stomach. It was 12.30 by the time I got home and was tempted to go straight to sleep but thought that if I did the exercise in the morning without having eaten, it could be a bit dangerous. So I checked my diet sheet, weighed out 150g of lettuce and tomatoes and found I only had 100g of fish so left it at that. Then 100g of dried fruit. I'm not sure if dried fruit counts in the same way as fresh fruit. My new electronic scale is great.

This is what is on my plate going forward :

Breakfast 150g carb 100g veg 1 egg 150ml yogurt
Morning tea 100g fruit
Lunch 200g carb 150g meat 150g veg
Afternoon tea 100g fruit
Dinner 150g meat 150g veg 100g fruit
Night tea 1 egg white 1 banana 200ml milk

My choice of carb is brown rice and my meat will either be chicken or fish.

I didn't go to bed until after 1.30 so I turned my alarm off. Woke at 7.30 but thought that I needed more sleep so stayed in bed until 10 but got up feeling groggy - must have been the oolong tea (joke, or maybe not).

I procrastinated for an hour before going into the garden. It had rained overnight, was cloudy and COOL. It took some time to get going but I managed to get to 1,021 skips. Not without a major casualty though - I dropped the skipping rope a few times and so much for cool Japanese technology, my skip counter doesn't work anymore.

Then on to the exercises, still a touch in slow motion.

Squats 3x15 OK

Incline Pull-Ups 4x5 : I used the coffee table to start with.

Push-Ups 4x10 (from my knees) : I like the push-up grips. They helped to hold me straighter.

Curl : 3x10 OK

Side Shoulder Fly : 4x12 OK

Sit-ups : 4x15 - Patrick's explanation helped.

So, breakfast not until 12.30pm : 150g of brown rice is a bowlful, and three small tomatoes weighed 100g. I thought I had one egg left but apparently not, so I skipped that. The yogurt was a bonus and I ended up feeling full.

Now a long soak in the bath before heading off to the supermarket to stock up on all the good stuff ...................

5 comments:

Nate said...

Awesome job on your exercises Tim! I have to find some random piece of furniture for my incline-pull-ups today too!

Amy said...

I don't think dried fruit counts the same, because 150 g of apple is a lot of water, and the dried fruit don't have much water.

Nate said...

all I know is Patrick told Sean not to worry about snacking on the dried fruit. I mean c'mon it's dried fruit! not chocolate or salty snacks or anything else that's non-PCP. But I do wonder amy if it should be weighed different . . .

Adrian and Emiko said...

I know, I love love love dried fruit. Peaches, pears, dates....yum! But don't know how to deal with them, either! Although I did eat a date earlier....:)

Tim, keep rockin' the work out! It's hard sticking to these crazy diets, but we gotta do it!

-E

Patrick said...

Hey everyone, just weigh your dried fruits like normal, it's not worth making a special rule over.

BUT, be really careful you're not buying fruits that have been dried with sugar. Check the ingredients and if you see sugar on there just back slowly away from the package. Almost all dried mango, for example, is full of sugar, even though it's advertised as a healthy snack.